Distro for aging laptop -- bootable CD?

Bradley Miller bradmiller_kclug at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 21:45:01 CST 2003

I've got a P233 Toshiba with 96Mb in it.  I found the new Mandrake "Move"
that allows you to boot from CD and access a USB storage device.  It works
pretty slick -- has Openoffice 1.1 and configures the network and works
flawlessly.  I even found the Minolta QMS 2300DL and printed to it from
CUPS.  I tried the CD on my laptop and it kind of groaned and managed to
sort of boot up.  The graphics were crap and it was very slow -- the
Mandrake "Move" requires at least 128Mb of memory.  Does anyone know of a
similar distro that will boot up and occupy less space?  There once was the
DemoLinux CD's, but I don't think I ever had one boot up on a laptop
right.  I've got a 4 gig drive in the laptop, so I could theoretically
install two OS systems . . . but I'm still torn on that prospect.  I do
need to do a new install on that box because of a virus on it . . . but I'm
not energetic enough to try it.  I still need Windows capability on it.

Bradley Miller, Owner/Programmer/Designer
AccessZone Design - www.accesszonedesign.com
Blue Springs, Missouri
Phone: 816-228-3814             Fax: 775-254-6162
Toll-free: 888-872-4420 ICQ: 48555780