Migrating between Distros

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Dec 14 17:33:54 CST 2003

With the prospect of the death-of-product for Redhat 7-9 looming, we've
discussed possible alternative distributions.  One thing we haven't discussed
is migrating from one distribution to another.

Obviously, the easy answer is to build a new system, install the new
distribution, tweak it up until it does most or all of what the old one does,
then pull the plug on the old system.

With a desktop system, you could do this in multiple partitions, although
having to reboot to check the settings in the old one would be a pain.

The real test, though, would be to "Upgrade" the existing installation, right
there on the same partition, hoping to preserve at least some of the
configuration, personalization, and package choices.

Most distros have an "upgrade" function that is supposed to allow you to step
from one release to the next with relative grace and ease.  I know that going
from Mandrake 9.1 to 9.2 wasn't as smooth as it should have been - lots of
KDE stuff had to be re-installed for instance.

I really don't think that I've seen anything where say a SuSE installer would
offer to preserve the setting in a Mandrake installation while "upgrading" to
SuSE.  That's probably because I haven't really looked - haven't booted a
SuSE install disk on the Mandrake system.

Has anyone done this?  Migrated a system from one Distro to another without
just doing a clean rebuild?  What advice, warnings, or suggestiosn do you
have for us?