Debian dual boot install... easy peasy?

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Fri Dec 12 23:05:42 CST 2003

> > So, basically, it would be like:
> >
> > -Have some unpartitioned space on a hdd in my box.
> > -Install debian normally in that space - making sure to install lilo
> > -Boot after install, and it should boot only to debian.
> > -Add lines to lilo.conf to add windows to boot menu.
> > -Live happily ever after.
> >
> > That about it?

Speaking of Debian as a desktop os, here are some questions that I have
coming from a hand-holding os like Mandrake.

Besides the installer, what am I losing?  I imagine I'd lose some of the
Mandrakey utilities...like they have a computer management tool that lets
you change your boot settings, screen res, network settings...stuff like
that.

I mean, when I use apt to install kde, I'm imagining there not being nearly
as many apps installed as with mandrake, and that installing apps like, say,
openoffice.org with apt wouldn't take care of adding these apps to my kde
menu's etc.

I guess I picture debian as linux without the fluff.  So, if I install kde,
that's just what I get...whereas with mandrake, I get a bunch of mandrake
tools to help me do some things that are otherwise obscure.  Do I have this
right?

Matt