Debian dual boot install... easy peasy?

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Dec 12 20:48:54 CST 2003

Try Morphix, Knoppix, Gnoppix or DamnSmall.  you will have to do a few tweaks after install to get
it like a standard Debian (these are supposed to be LiveCD distros, after all), but its worth it
and its doable.  I'm proof of that.  I couldn't get a std Debian installed, but I got Morphix going
and I "get" DamnSmall and Knoppix.  They all have an install to HDD script or process.  Morphix
recognizes other partitions and OSes and allows you to access them via lilo.  Morphix is the only
one I've installed to HDD, but it's not hard unless you don't know what existing partitions you
have and where Windows/DOS lives like the problem Jon had two meetings ago.

—-----Quote-------
<snip>
So, searching for an easy to install solution for my desktop, I installed
Mandrake.  It's running fine and everything, but I am missing the coolness
of Debian.

The reason I didn't install Debian on the desktop was because it also has
WindowsXP on it.  RH and Mandrake do a good job of dummy proofing the dual
boot setup.

How tough is a dual boot install of Debian?  I'm probably setting everything
up manually right?  (partitioning, boot loader, fstab etc etc.)

Brian Kelsay