Surface Scan

Kris Bodenheimer numa at thenuma.com
Fri Dec 12 16:24:15 CST 2003

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>On Thursday 11 December 2003 03:29 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:
>

>>Surface scan is like the sector tests performed during a format, and it
>>remaps the hard drive to compensate for any new bad or failing sectors on
>>the platters.
>>

>But Leo, it can't do that on an IDE drive where the sectors are all virtual
>entities mapped by the firmware on the drive.

However, those mappings DO have a physical location on the disk.  The
surface scan still is relevant, and useful.  It's not like IDE drives
have abandoned the overall concept of sectors, and cylinders, they still
spin, and data is written in circles around the drive.  I would suggest
that whoever owns this drive should use a Drive Fitness test produced BY
the drives manufacturer to inspect the drive.  SMART is supposed to
catch about 70% of the errors a drive has.  however SMART does not
function the same as a good surface scan.  Also, most modern IDE drives
can be REALLY formatted ( not quite like a SCSI drive, but closer) with
utilities provided by the drive manufacturer.  Beware 3rd party
"universal" drive formatters.  One can generate paperweights with them.
Kris