Challenge-Response for the BLIND?

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Dec 12 00:09:31 CST 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:22:14 -0600 Hal Duston <hduston at speedscript.com>
writes:
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 16:06, Jason Clinton wrote:
> > This is a popular myth. Despite what you may have
> > heard, the A.D.A. doesn't affect anything but
> > government agencies.
>
> Well, then the US Department of Justice is perpetrating
> that myth:
>
> "The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a
> Federal civil rights law that prohibits discrimination
> against people with disabilities in everyday activities,
> such as buying an item at the store, going to the
> movies, enjoying a meal at a local restaurant,
> exercising at the health club, or having the car
> serviced at a local garage."
>
> http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/business.htm

Well, I was originally only talking about government agencies using
challenge-response systems which were inaccessible to blind people, but
that is interesting to know.

Incidentally, the typical challenge-response system does send plaintext
only, but its a link to a website where there is a picture of a number.
Adding a sound file shouldn't be too hard for such systems.