Challenge-Response for the BLIND?

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Thu Dec 11 22:29:41 CST 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Jason Clinton wrote:

> This is a popular myth. Despite what you may have heard, the A.D.A.
> doesn't affect anything but government agencies.

IANAL, but I think you're mistaken. Here's a document about the U.S. Gov suing
Oceanview Motel in WildWood Crest, NJ for ADA violations:

http://tinyurl.com/yu8x

Also, I recall my old boss choosing not to remodel his business because doing
so would mean he would have to comply with a bunch of ADA regs.

All that said, I do think email Challenge-Response systems are a bad idea be
they text, image or audio based. As you said, the just add more traffic to the
mix and there are filtering technologies that do a pretty good job of keeping
out spam. But I have to agree with you that if someone must use CR to fight
spam, use a text based system. Even a text based system can be devised that is
difficult for computers to overcome without intervention by a programmer.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

"It's ten o'clock... Do you know where your AI programs are?"  -- Peter Oakley