Alternative Connections

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Wed Dec 10 00:25:07 CST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 06:04:50PM -0600, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 December 2003 04:46 pm, Leo J Mauler wrote:
>
> > At 112K for dual-modem POTS connections, that might be
> > his easiest option for his remote location, and almost as good
> > as ISDN for the same general pricing (though the upload
> > speeds will still suck).
>
> Best he'd probably see would be more like 66K.  56K is highly theoretical.

I still haven't checked out the option of dual modems.

Here's another shot in the arm: it rains down here 8 months out of the
year. Lots. My "line of sight" is going to be largely obstructed during
those months from 2:00 p.m. on when the rains come in.

Two more things have surfaced:
1. The government (supposedly) has made a deal to buy some new routers
that will give 85,000 lucky souls access to broadband via ADSL. When?
Dunno.
2. I talked to my DirecTV people down here and they said they had a deal
with DirecWay going through for 2004. Maybe, just maybe, I can get in on
that deal.

So, until it all pans out, I'm going to be checking more into this dual
modem set-up - sounds kinda neat. And, I'll be working, too, on my
wireless deal. Will clouds screw me up?

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux