Debian upgrade problems

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Dec 9 16:50:20 CST 2003

I got help to a similar problem with Python 2.3 from Cymor (Chris Bier) at the LUG meeting.  Seems
Python 2.3 was installed 2 ways.  python2.3_2.3.x and python_2.3.x .  Go figure.  Not really sure
what he did to fix that issue as we fixed so many little things that night.  My laptop is purring
like a kitten.  If I could just get sound fixed, I'd be a  happy camper.

—----Quote-----

No response to my original post so I'm starting a new one just in case it
got filtered by mail clients.
Isn't there anyone who has any ideas on how to fix this?
Here's the output of apt-get -f install

<some text about 1 package (libxrender) needs installing>

dpkg-divert: 'diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1.1
clashes with /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrender.so.1.1 to
/usr/share/libxrender.1.1/diversion/libXrender.s0.1.1 by libxrender1.1'
dpkg:error processing /var/cache/apt/libxrender.1.0.8 (--unpack)
subprocess pre-install returned error status 2

Or pretty close to that.
I think I might be able to rename the exiting libxrender stuff temporarily,
but am not sure what the repercussions might be. So isn't there anyone out
there using debian that can help?