Why, in my day we had to go uphill both ways in the snow to school.

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Tue Dec 9 13:09:28 CST 2003

Leo J Mauler wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 09:01:40 -0600 "Brian Kelsay" <BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov>
> writes:

>> We had Fortran, PL1, Assembler and JCL.
>
> Ahhh, Fortran.  Much more "fun" than BASIC.
>
> Anyone else try to write programs in FORTH?

I *LOVE* FORTH.  I just finished an embedded application written in
FORTH (a small temperature/humidity alarm/data-logger...cooperative
real-time multitasking running in 8 KBytes of flash and 1K RAM).

I really want to build a tiny (probably about 10k) FORTH system for
linux that has no reliance on libc (making kernel calls directly,
instead) and use it to replace a lot of the shell-scripting and busybox
tools typically used in small linux systems (like the LEAF firewalls I
play with).  Should be a lot of fun.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net