[OT] Win2k3 + DOS = need linux

David Holland david at gotoacs.com
Mon Dec 8 23:59:08 CST 2003

I have a customer that is using a DOS application which uses an old
version of Foxpro for its database.  I recently set up a Windows 2k3
server and a VPN tunnel to their remote site.  I have them set up to use
terminal services from the remote to the main and run the DOS app on the
server.  I have since found out that you can't run a DOS window full
screen in a terminal services session.  Though you can run it in a
window but one terminal services session, running a DOS app, eats 98% of
the CPU and I need to run 2 of these sessions.  So, I know bandwidth
isn't the problem its Windows server (go figure).

I have tried to run the app straight through the VPN tunnel but the DOS
client requests large amounts of data at a time.  This causes the
program to take 15 minutes to start up and from then on is too slow to
use.  So here bandwidth is the problem.

I have also configured the 2k3 server to allow telnet sessions and run
the program that way.  But telnet service on M$ 2k3 runs very slow, they
know about it and have no intentions of fixing it.  But the real problem
with the telnet session is that the DOS app changes from 25 to 50 lines
then back to 25.

I am having a hell of a time getting this to work, I really though this
would be as simple as running a DOS app.  I have 2 workstations at the
main site that I can use only for remote connections.
For example:
(Remote client) --> (VPN tunnel) --> (PC running vnc or ???) --> (Win2k3
share)
I know how to get samba to mount MS shares but I've never tried to run a
PCAnywhere like (VNC?) program for remote connections.
Does anyone have any suggestions on a Linux solution for this?  I will
need it to 1) mount SMB shares, 2) run a DOS app and 3) allow a remote
PC (Win2k) to connect and use that DOS program.

Thanks
David