Debian dist-upgrade problems

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Dec 8 16:52:22 CST 2003

Also for more information I should have mentioned
that 'apt-get -f install' fails because the package
for libxrender1 errors off after unpacking. I
don't recall the error message, but didn't see
any useful information in it. It basically said
the process returned an error status of 1 or 2 in
the pre-install section. Depending on whether I
used apt-get or dpkg. I have tried forcing it
to install. I even tried to remove libxrender1.1,
but it had so many depends I was afraid to force
it to uninstall. I have even removed the cache and
tried downloading the libxrender from other mirrors.
I also tried using dselect, which shows a lot more
broken packages than dpkg does. Very odd. The system
seems to be running fine, but I'm currently running
half woody and half sarge. I could try removing X
entirely and reinstalling it, but don't know how to
do that and really don't want to.