Samba Server Configuration, (Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS)

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Dec 7 16:21:51 CST 2003

On Saturday 06 December 2003 09:35 pm, Ian Collins wrote:

> I am having problems configuring Samba Server, I am running x windows on
> a RH Enterprise workstation. When I try to pull up samba server on a
> remote windows xp machine I get a message that says that I do not have
> the right permissions to access the server. What am I doing wrong?

What level of security does the XP machine have on it's shares?  Have you
established an account for the RH box?  If you're using domain-level security
in XP, have you joined the domain?

I'm not familiar with non-domain security in XP, sorry, but it's fairly clear
you're not meeting the security criteria of the XP box when you try to
access.   Samba does not use your Linux/Xwindows authentication to remote
servers, you have to authenticate to them.

I find that using smbclient from the command line is less ambiguous when
trying to work these things out.

The docs on the Samba web site are your best bet for specific help.