Open source point of sales app

Bryan Richard bryan at booknerd.net
Fri Dec 5 23:34:52 CST 2003

What seems like ages ago, I did a L'ânePOS
(http://l-ane.sourceforge.net/) installation (custom receipt printing,
CC swipe, hacked in multiple networked registers) that went quite well
until IBM swooped in and replaced everything.

This was a straight retail install but the interface looks like
something you would see in a restaurant.

There are some non-free POS systems out there that Open Source and are
more establishd but require licensing. Is Free Software a requirement?

You might also want to search the POS category on SF
(http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=79).

Linux Mag just did a feature on retail
(http://www.linux-mag.com/2003-08/retail_01.html) but I haven't gotten
around to reading it.