Decent, Networkable Color Printer

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Dec 2 18:31:59 CST 2003

I used to be a big Epson fan, then I needed customer support. It
blew chunks. Then I went to HP, and couldn't get it to work
decently in Linux (this was pre-light for HP). Then Lexmark,
and the Lexmark just worked. But Now Lexmark sucks because of
the DMCA crap they are pulling.

> | What's good?  What's available at a reasonable price that won't make
> | me mess with it for hours for the three prints I want in a month?
>
> The state of Linux printing is rather sad, still. It took
> many hours of
> documentation reading to get my printer set up. Mozilla still
> refuses to
> print correctly but this is a Mozilla bug. KDE applications
Well if the printer still doesn't print right then it doesn't
answer the printing problem. It should take hours to set up a
printer. It takes me about 5 minutes to set up a printer with
CUPS. You have to be careful in buying them though. You can't
just go and buy an Epson, or an HP or a Lexmark. You have to
find one that is specifically supported in Linux. HPs are far
and away the best supported and easiest to set up and use now.
But not all HP printers work in Linux.

Here's a good place to start looking:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

The #1 general purpose Linux printer seems to be currently
the Epson C82. At least in the range most of us are looking at.

Brian