New postnuke site

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Sun Aug 31 00:06:22 CDT 2003

dt at xr7.org wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Jim Herrmann wrote:
>

>>I have a new PostNuke site that has been under development in a /new/
>>subdirectory of my htdocs, so that I access the site with
>>www.domain.tld/new/ which gives me the nuke home page.  I am just about
>>ready to take this to production, and I would like to move everything up
>>a directory so that the nuke is the main home page, i.e.
>>www.domain.tld.  What would be the best way to do this?  Would the mv
>>command be the best, and if so any tips on options to make it go
>>smooth?  If I mv everything, would it have to update every file in the
>>whole tree structure, or only the first level of files and directories
>>within the /new/ directory?
>>

>Because there's more than just PostNuke to my site, I left it in it's
>subdirectory.  Stick this in as /index.php:
><?php
>  header("Location: new/index.php");
>?>
>
>Cheapest way to force the whole site to 'appear' to be PostNuke.  Olus,
>when you want to change to new.2, you can easily do so.
>

>>Also, any thoughts from you PostNukers out there about what
>>configuration parameters to be aware of?  I've tried to be careful to
>>make everything use relative links, and thus not specify the /new/
>>directory, but I suppose that there could still be some broken links.
>>Is this going to mess up any of the modules?  I know that the gallery
>>module will need to be reconfigured to work correctly.  Are there others
>>that you are aware of?  I've already gone through changing the directory
>>from /nuke/ to /new/ and most everything except the gallery worked well.
>>

>Hmmm...I don't recall having to do anything special to Gallery to make it
>work.  But it's primary location is still outside the PN tree at /gallery.

To use Gallery as a module within postnuke, all you have to do is put it
in the modules directory.  The albums directory can be outside the PN
tree, but to work as a PN module, the gallery directory needs to be in
the tree.  I suppose if you want to us gallery outside of PN, then you
would leave the way you have it.  What happened with the configuration
is when I changed the directory from nuke to new, some things got lost
as there are places in the configuration that have the full URL.  So, I
suppose they could even be on another website.  Hmmm.  Interesting idea.

Anyway, it looks like redirect is the way to go, then any full URLs
would still work.

Thanks,
Jim