Ghosting with Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Aug 22 09:30:13 CDT 2003

On Thursday 21 August 2003 6:47 pm, Jason Clinton wrote:
> <head>
>   <DEFANGED_meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
> content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1"> <title></title>
> </head>
> Dustin Decker wrote:<br>
>  cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0308211310340.15267-100000 at gemini.moon-lite.com">
>   <pre wrap="">You running at full duplex?
> D.
>   </pre>
> IIRC, 100 Mb is not possible at half duplex thus the switch would not
> indicate a 100 Mb link.<br>

YDNRC.  Half Duplex 100M is a bit more common for sevaral reasons.  There were
a lot of incompatibilities between Cisco routers and 3Com 100M NICs which
cause anything from incorrect autonegotiation to complete connection
failures.  Some of that's been ironed out with newer hardware, but a lot of
sites still set everything to Half Duplex.

Still, I have noticed other conditions in which Linux boxen don't seem to make
effective use of the bandwidth when running a single file transfer.  It's too
infrequent a problem for me to persue, but would be of interest to anyone
doing a backup like yours regularly.