The relevance of grammar

Bradley Miller bradmiller at dslonramp.com
Fri Aug 8 03:16:54 CDT 2003

I'm going to pipe in on one of my "pet peeve's" on this grammar stuff . . .
and this is probably just more ammunition in the blast Bill Gates and the
evil empire . . . but here it goes:

I HATE the fact that software "fixes" your mistakes as you go.  A
convenience yes . . . but it's making people into complete idiots.  If you
make a common typo . . . and the software always "fixes" it before you
catch it . . . how are you going to correct your mistakes?  You'll just
keep thinking "thier" is correct . . . or whatever little correction
feature is overriding your brain cells.  It's sort of like looking back at
automatic transmissions on cars.  Once upon a time they were a luxury and
most of the population knew how to drive a manual.   Now manual
transmissions are a rarity and likewise the population that can drive them
is a bit sparse.  (And of those, the ones that REALLY know how to drive
them is even fewer and further between.)

Well, that's my .02 cents for tonight . . .