[OT] Off or On Topic

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Aug 7 11:46:44 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 11:51 pm, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:

> {LUG-Lord] sent me a personal message letting me know that
> humor was not well
> received on the list because it was not considered professional or
> technical or ... Linux-like...

He must never have studied the kernel source then.  Lots of humor there.

Where's that "printer on fire" error code?  What about "fortune"?

Yeah, we get off track.  I think the job hunting discussion is relevant,
because that's how we either fund Linux or put Linux to work.

I think it's important to point out that comprehensible grammar and spelling
are important parts of conveying a technical message - just like getting the
syntax right in code.

Perhaps your LUG-Lord has never heard of The Journal of Irreproducable
Results.  I remember discovering, at an impressionable age, a collection of
those essays from MIT under the title "Stress Analysis of a Strapless Evening
Gown".  Proof that some geeks both have a sense of humor and can write.