cluster

Jonathan Hale maclaoch at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 26 01:37:10 CDT 2002

Whoa!  Where did this come from???  And all the big guns (Brian
Densmore, Charles Steinkuehler, Dustin Decker, etc) crawling out of the
woodworks to pitch in, too!!!
Actually, I started doing something like this almost a year ago... was
taking the Advanced UNIX Admin course at JCCC... had visions of setting
up a master node on the removable hard drive they gave me to use for
class... downloaded Charles's Materhorn LRP distro and jacked up the
size of the ramdisk to boot up all the other lab PCs to use as slave
nodes... had a few problems loading network card and NFS modules into
Materhorn... downloaded MOSIX for the main drive and recompiled the
kernel, but it didn't work right, and there wasn't even any
documentation available for it yet... then, with only two or three weeks
left in the class (mind you, all of this was on my own time outside the
scope of the official curriculum) and me with actual graded assignments
left to do...