Windows Emulation

Rich Edelman edelman at speedscript.com
Tue Sep 24 19:28:13 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 24 September 2002 02:10 pm, Jason Clinton wrote:
> There's Wine, WineX and CrossOver Wine. The later two have proprietary
> extentions. WineX is free if you use Gentoo.
WineX is free for everyone, not just those who use Gentoo. True, it does have
proprietary extensions, but currently those "extensions" only of cd copy
protection code, so for most games these days you have to download some kind
of crack to bypass the copy protection code, or pay $15 ($5/month for a
minimum of three months) to Transgaming for the "complete" version of WineX.

> I've used Wine for Quicktime 6 and a few other things. Some friends of mine
> have played games like Max Payne and Jedi Knight 2. There's alot of
> overhead in emulation so you need atleast three times the requirements to
> play the same piece of software in WineX as in just straight Windows.
While there is a lot of overhead in emulation, I think saying you need three
times the game's requirements to play the same piece of software in WineX is
a bit much. I've played Max Payne through WineX on a machine that only met
the game's recommended requirements, and it played fine, even on top of KDE
3. I also had almost every single little detail turned on in the game.
Regardless though, if you are playing any of today's games, you'll need a
modern machine, and you will probably be fine playing through WineX.

> Plus, buying Windows software isn't speaking very well with one's wallet so
> I tend to avoid that.
Thankfully, Unreal Tournament 2003 is being shipped with a Windows and Linux
version in the same box. :)