DSL

Eric Rossiter rossiter at discoverynet.com
Mon Sep 23 23:13:06 CDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 02:57, Jason Clinton wrote:

> In case anyone was wondering, PPPoE is such a pain in the ass. If you
> have the extra bucks per month, I would go with 1500/1500
> Symetrical/Bridged/Router/Static DSL versus  this cheaper 128/1500
> Asymetrical/PPPoE/Dynamic stuff. Did I mention that SBC is surprising
> Linux friendly?

Hi LugNuts, Mr. Clinton, Mr Steinkuehler, et all,

Unfortunately, my client won't go with the business account, just wants
the single user, and me to work the masq magic.

Ok Jason, maybe you can help me.  Been working on getting a LEAF box
using the Bering distro set up as a firewall/router on SBC DSL.

First, who did you speak with at SBC that was Linux friendly?  I've
tried 5 different people at the help number they give, and I receive the
standard "we don't support Linux" reply... so, can you hook me up,
man??? who???? where??? what phone number???

To catch up from my first post (first attempt at a LEAF box using
Bering)... I am able to use cat, ps, ls, etc. and an ifconfig look alike
called ip.  It was late, I was stuck in stupid... that's my excuse, and
I'm stickin to it....

So, I was able to get the nic cards working (wasn't installing the right
modules), I can ping the eth1 but not eth0. If I configure a static
route for eth0, I can ping it. It looks like I have everything right,
I've been through the Bering installation and users guides about a
hundred times, I've read the PPPoE and PPP HOWTO's about that many
times.  I even downloaded, configured and fired up Dachstein, which
worked fine here at home using dhcp to Comcast.

I believe everything is working as it should, but the last piece I can't
get is authentication to SBC.  (I think.... lol)

Also, the Win PC I set this up on originally, works fine, authenticates
great.

Ok, so I've configured the following per the Bering Users guide, PPPoE
section.

I've declared all the packages.

I've edited /etc/modules with the following:

# nic cards
3c509x  (two 3com 905 cards, one "b" and one "c")

# modules needed for PPP/PPPoE connection
slhc
n_hdlc
ppp_generic
PPP_synctty
pppox
pppoe

# Masquerading helper modules
ip_conntrack_ftp
ip_conntrack_irc
ip_nat_ftp
ip_nat_irc

I've done very little with PPP other than the pap_secrets file because
this isn't a serial dial-up.  Is this a correct assumption on my part?

#pap_secrets
#papname * papsecret
user.name * password (correct values used, these are for demonstration)
user.name at sbcglobal.net * password

I've tried both of the above.

The PPP HOWTO calls the following format pap_secrets, in Bering, they
call it the chap_secrets file:

# Secrets for authentication using PAP
#client    server    secret     acceptable local ip addresses
user.name    *       password

I've tried to connect using chap_secrets and pap_secrets and only
pap_secrets. Do I need to configure chap_secrets?  I've tried with and
without, and it didn't seem to make a difference.

PPPoE configs:

edit /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider

name "user.name at sbcglobal.net"
name user.name at sbcglobal.net
name "user.name"
name user.name

(I found a dsl howto at linuxdoc.org that suggested dropping the
@sbcglobal.net.  I've tried all of the above formats, with double quotes
and without, and with the @sbcglobal.net and without.  Nothing seems to
make a difference)  The users guide states "if you have special
characters in secret or username, you should put them in quotes."
I should use the quotes I believe.

/etc/networks/interfaces file:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto ppp0
iface ppp0 inet ppp
	pre-up ip link set eth0 up
	provider dsl-provider eth0

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
	address 192.168.1.254
	masklen 24
	broadcast 192.168.1.255

I put the nameservers for sbc in the resolv.conf file.

Supplemental info:

I'm using the ip addr command to check the interfaces... I see lo,
dummy, eth0 (with no ip address,) and eth1 (with the static IP I
configured).  I have yet to see a reference to device ppp0.  This
confuses me... does that mean, I don't have my interfaces configured
correctly, or route isn't showing me ppp0 because I don't ppp or pppoe
correct yet?

The route command just shows me the static route info. (192.168.1.0 for
eth1)

Entering "pppd" at the command line returns the following to the system
console and /var/log/syslog:

pppd: The remote system is required to authenticate itself
pppd: but I couldn't find any suitable secret (password) for it to do so
pppd: None of the available passwords would let it use an IP address

I also see the above messages at boot, after ppp/pppoe does the
initialize thing, which leads me to believe this is the piece I'm
missing.  *shrugs*  anyway....

Entering "pppd call dsl-provider" on the command line returns the
following to the console.

Plugin /usr/lib/ppd/pppoe.so loaded
PPPoE Plugin Initialized

and the following to /var/log/syslog

pppd 2.4.1 started by root UID=0
Couldn't set tty to PPP discipline: Invalid Argument"

Entering "pppd call dsl-provider eth0" on the command line returns the
following to the console.

Plugin /usr/lib/ppd/pppoe.so loaded
PPPoE Plugin Initialized
Sending PADI

and then just sits there.

I don't think I want to use "call" as this isn't serial as I stated
above, but I'm clutchig at straws now, and was trying anything to get a
response in hopes of gleaning a clue.

One other thought I had driving home (scary, I know..a single
thought).... Do I need to use a crossover cable between the LEAF router,
and the DSL modem?

That's it, sorry this is so long, but I've included all this info
because the next email goes to the developer of Bering.

Thanks everyone,

P.S. I can burn CD's, don't have a "stomper," what ever that is, and I
would love to help in any way for ITEC.  Please let me know if I may be
of any assistance.