Job Skills - was Re: Tech-support Hall of Shame

JD Runyan JRunyan.Lists at dms.nwcg.gov
Fri Sep 20 14:58:35 CDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 09:56, Jason Clinton wrote:

> If you're hiring someone, I hope you don't use the hand shake as a good first
> impression. Personally, I think there much more to be read about a person in
> whether or not they're able to make eye contact with you.
A handshake and eye contact are significant indicators of personality,
and confidence.  Someone who doesn't make eye contact with me, generally
lacks confidence. I want to work with someone confident in the skills
they have, more than I want to work with someone with more skills, but
lacks the confidence to use them, or share thier knowledge.  The
hadshake is an old European tradition.  It started as a show of trust,
while soldiers greeted.  It is done with the right hand because most men
would wield thier swords in thier right hands, and thus could not attack
while shaking hands.  The tradition carries on.  We are not a society of
casts or with a strong history of casts, thus things like bowing are not
our norm.  If you do not like the social norms in America, then find
some place you are comfortable.  Otherwise you should learn what it
takes to project confidence to others.
--
Jason D. Runyan
USDA NITC KC