Job Skills - was Re: Tech-support Hall of Shame

Dave Hull dphull at insipid.com
Fri Sep 20 14:30:09 CDT 2002

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Aaron wrote:

> :)  A strong handshake says allot about a person.  It shows confidence,
> enthusiasm and friendliness.  In some circles it also speaks about your
> upbringing and sense of traditional values.
>
> I know this sounds like BS, but think of it this way;  It's part of the body
> language package.  You do it for the same reason you don't pick your teeth
> or nose, or sit with your arms crossed in front of you staring at the floor
> when you talk.  It's all part of the social game.

Indeed, it's a part of our culture. In some cultures handshakes are taboo,
in some cultures people bow. My brother lived in Japan for 13 years where
businessmen still greet each other by bowing with the underlings bowing
lower than their bosses. These are cultural norms, which doesn't justify
them or explain them, but being culturally literate can go a long way.

I read recently that extending your hand for a handshake with your palm
turned up signals submissiveness, if your palm is turned down it signals
that you are powerful and in control... Some people have too much time to
think about these things.

--
Dave Hull
http://insipid.com

The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will
walk carefully.
		-- Russian Proverb