Win XP SP 1 EULA (was: Win-XP Help Center request wipes your HD)

Dustin Decker dustind at moon-lite.com
Thu Sep 19 18:23:23 CDT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, J. Eric Gilliland wrote:

> >>Those who object to the SP1 EULA on moral grounds...
>
> What does the EULA for the SP 1 update say that is onerous?
>  Don't misunderstand; I am sure that it is bad, I just want
> to know what it is.  I looked at the MS website, but I was
> unable to find a copy of it to read (what a shock).  If
> anyone has read it and can tell me of it's evilness, I
> would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/op/xml/02/09/16/020916opwinman.xml
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/08/27/2030205&mode=thread&tid=109

Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 contain a new
condition which asks you to allow Windows to go and install future
updates.

"You acknowledge and agree that Microsoft may automatically check the
version of the OS Product and/or its components that you are utilizing
and may provide upgrades or fixes to the OS Product that will be
automatically downloaded to your computer," is the new bit you'll be
interested in.

Dustin

--
| Dustin Decker                     |
| http://www.dustindecker.com |                                         |
| Moon-Lite Computing         | "How many teamsters does it take to     |
| 913.579.7117                |  screw in a light bulb?"                |
                              | "FIFTEEN!! YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT?"|