Tech-support Hall of Shame

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Thu Sep 19 17:12:24 CDT 2002

> I know.  With the current market though, employers can be pickier.  You
> have to remember that most of the other jobs in a company at the same
> level are filled by people with college degrees.  How many accountants
> do you think a company hires who don't have degrees?

Maybe but then how many people with degrees do you know that are still
living with their parents? I know a lot.

> Here are a couple pieces of advise for those of you on the job hunt:

> of schools offer evening and weekend classes.  Once you have the degree
> you have it.  How hard do you think a company looks at when the degree
> was obtained.  Someone with a 20 year old Computer Science degree will
> beat you out for a Java job because they have a degree that isn't even
> relevant anymore.... but they still have the degree.

Expensive and time consuming. If I had that much time and money I could
get my business going well enough to support myself.

>     2.  Don't be overqualified.....  If you're loosing jobs because your
> overqualified, scale down the resume.  Only list what the job requires
> plus maybe just a tab bit more.  In the interview you might want to hint
> at or outright expand your knowledge base to the interviewer.

I trimmed several pages of languages and platforms I knew off. No help so
far.

>     3.  Change.  Move to a niche that's a little more in demand.  The
> nice thing about the IT industry is that the people in it are usually
> flexible. Maybe you've been working as a Systems Engineer for the last 5
> years but you can't find a job as one now.  If you have programming
> skills, maybe that's what you should look at if the jobs are available.

I'm pretty flexible. I'll do anything to pay rent. ;)