Shutdown Question

David Board david at infokwik.com
Thu Sep 19 16:33:38 CDT 2002

To those who know more than I, Thank You in advance.

When I try to shut down my machine from the command line after I logout of
X-window, the machine reaches the last line listed below then just sits
there and never finishes the shutdown process. This started the other day
after I had a power outage that caused a hard shutdown of the machine. No
other problems are apperant at this time. Here is the text that I get
onscreen:

Broadcast message from root (tty1) ...date.,....

The system is going down for system halt NOW!!
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 0
INIT: Sending processes the TERM signal
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

Then the machine just sits there, I left it on all night and still had the
same thing this morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on
Mandrake 8.0 if that helps. Also it goes through all the checks when I do a
hard shutdown and reboot and comes up fine.

Thanks DB