Tech-support Hall of Shame

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Thu Sep 19 16:25:32 CDT 2002

They seem to have yet to grasp that finding jobs right now is rather hard
so they still act like as soon as we're hired we'll split if we're
overqualified. Right now I'd work for a third of what I would have been
making a couple years ago but still can't find anything.

The recruiters ask for impossible things too. For a job that pays $8.50 an
hour they want someone with 15 years of Linux and Java experience.  First
off how would 15 years of experience be possible? I have been using Linux
for at least 7 years and that is about as far as anyone can use it.  I
don't remember the exact release of the original Linux but wasn't that
like only 10 years ago or something? Java is even younger. Then if you
could find someone that had been using Linux and Java from before they
existed would they really be working for $8.50/hr? Probably not.

Or web dev jobs that want a degree. I mean honestly how does a degree help
you in web development? I've worked at a couple different colleges and
answer questions for people from a lot more and none of them seem to have
very good web dev classes. I've even seen web ev jobs that required
masters degrees. That just drives me nuts.