MicroCenter Systems

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Wed Sep 18 21:09:28 CDT 2002

In his original note he asked about using it as a Desktop workstation
system, not a server, so that is how I responded.  This machine, as
equipped, would work well enough for many server applications, but it
would be pretty much topped out.  Why blow the bucks unless there is NO
chance of an expanding work load and you just want a test system to play
on.  In my experience, most places are constantly adding functions and
processes, so it would be pretty easy to overload a under equipped system.

I just parted out a server not much smaller than the one he asked about
because it took 4 to 6 hours to install an OS (RH 7.3) upgrade.  I had
used this machine for a Linux desktop until almost 3 years ago when it
just couldn't run Xwindows and Star Office 5.2 without huge delays - and
I had more RAM than the example.

As far as history goes, I remember running Banyan on 386's.  That don't
mean I still want to do it today just because the hardware is really
cheap!

To take history one step further, I started in the biz running an IBM
system/360 that had less memory and DISK DRIVE storage added together
than the available storage in a $500 PalmPilot.

While we can always figure out a way to get something done, sometimes we
need to stop and think about it to see if it actually make sense to do
them.

IMHO a desktop system on a 0.1ghz P1 might not be the best use of Ben
Franklin's portrait.  (Or someone's time!)

On another note:  a CD drive would not be required to load the OS to
this machine.  Red Hat and several other flavors of OS can be configured
to do a network install after booting from a floppy.