Linux

Persky, Ken Ken.Persky at dsionline.com
Thu Sep 12 20:24:42 CDT 2002

Ok, I don't know if I am reposting this because my mail client died a
horrible death on Tuesday and I am just now receiving messages from the
list. So, I don't know if this has made it to the list.  If it has, sorry
for the multiple posting.

Let me start off by saying that while I am new to Linux, I have really
enjoyed
my experiences with it so far.  As I have gotten more and more informed
about
Linux and open source software over the past months I have had a question
lingering in
my mind about the open source model.
I recall the browser wars between Netscape and ms and how ms was vilified
for
giving away IE for free in an attempt to shutdown Netscape.  I am wondering
isn't OSS doing the exact same thing, i.e. producing open, free software,
which is attempting to taking market share away from MS?  I mean the OS
itself is freely available and many products like open office are as well.
Therefore, isn't it true that by promoting Linux and OSS the OSS community
is doing the exact same thing that MS
did to Netscape?
Am I way off base here?  Don't get me wrong, I think Linux is
the greatest thing since sliced bread, but does anyone have a thoughts on
how a Linux advocate should respond to such accusations.

----------  Internet E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer  ----------

PRIVILEGED / CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION may be contained in this message.  If
you are not the addressee indicated in this message or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby on notice
that you are in possession of confidential and privileged information.  Any
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited.  In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify
the sender by reply e-mail.  Please advise immediately if you or your
employer do not consent to Internet email for messages of this kind.

given nor endorsed by it.