mrtg problems

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Tue Sep 3 20:10:16 CDT 2002

However, you CAN have more than one copy of libpng, etc. on your system. The default install prefix
is /usr/local/lib most RPMs install in /usr/lib. If you compile mrtg or any other package to use
the libs in /usr/local/lib it doesn't effect the rpm versions that are installed in /usr/lib and
all other RPM dependencies WILL remain intact.

However, building your own updated RPM isn't all that difficult. Just download the source RPM for
the current library you have, install it (which it will end up in /usr/src/redhat <might be
different for caldera, dunno>), copy the latest tarball to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCE and then edit the
spec file in /usr/src/redhat/SPEC to update the version numbers, then compile a new package with
`rpm -bb <package>.spec`. You new rpm will be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (or your arch).

One gotcha you should lookout for is patches. There may be one or two system specific patches that
customizes too your system, which is fine. Just remember to comment out patches that only apply to
the older version of the package in the spec file before building.