Any "unformat" tools from Linux?

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Oct 31 10:44:00 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Bradley Miller wrote:

> Is there any handy harddrive retrieval tools in Linux?  I have what I
> believe was a Win98 box that needs a little "restore" of the previous
> files.  Right now it won't boot . . . anyone have any recommendations?

If it was fdisk that changed the format, changing it back may suddenly
allow the image to reappear.  If it was the format command, FAT partitions
have a backup FAT table that can be restored.  The DOS unformat command
uses this trick.  If the files were deleted on a FAT partition, the first
character of the filenames were masked off and the sector chains freed if
my memory is correct.  Guessing the first character and hunting down these
chains can be quite a game.