OT: Monitor dying slowly??

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Thu Oct 31 10:33:34 CST 2002

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Bradley Miller wrote:

> I've got a 19" Princeton monitor that seems to be dying slowly.  The bottom
> of the monitor display seems to be inching upward -- wrapping on itself?
> What could be causing this and is it fixable?  I hate to send a monitor out
> the door . . .

Your flyback circuit is going out of sync as the electrolyte capacitors in
the flyback area are out of tolerance.  The heat boils the oil away, the
capacitance goes down, it goes out of sync, it creates more heat...until
the transformer or driver transistor break the connection.

You can perform this $200 repair with $2 in parts.  There are several of
these little capacitors ranging from 1uF to 100uF, rated up to 200 volts.
If it gets bad enough to deteriate the $50 flyback transformer to the
point of total failure or pop the $10 transistor, your parts list just
increased.  Better fix it fast.  Flyback transformers can still work as
the enamel on its tiny wires inside slowly decays from the heat.