Another Newbie Question

rod holcomb rodbrenda.2 at gbronline.com
Tue Oct 29 18:01:42 CST 2002

>If you really decide to go with DOS, I have a couple of CD's full of
>utilities I'll be glad to share with you (used to run a good FIDONet File
>Node).
>
>Tell you what, post some hardware specifics and we'll have some nice heated
>arguments on what the best strategy would be for you.

I’d like to jump in here.  This is quite a timely discussion.  Yesterday I was given a    IBM
Model N51 SX  notebook.

Specs.
386SX   16 MHz,   2 Meg ram  (easily upgradeable to 10 Meg) ,  40 Meg HD, floppy,  1 serial, 1
parallel, 1 ps/2 mouse ports,  black and white LCD display

other information:
Micro Channel arch.
A rear slot (looks like a docking station port) for “Attaching and Detaching the Communications
Cartridge… It supports the following half-size Micro Channel communication cards.
IBM 3270 Connection
IBM System 36/38 Workstation Emulation Adapter/A
IBM Token-Ring Network Adapter/A.

Also on the side of the laptop is the “Communication Interface Connector”  for installing a “modem
or serial adaptor”  I’ve never seen a slot like this: about  .75 in tall 1.5 inch wide 4 inches
deep.

The main task I envision for this machine is as a dumb terminal.

Questions:

Can I  find any  expansion cards that would allow me to connect to my home Ethernet?  Is this cost
prohibitive?

How far can I get a serial connections to travel.

Should I bother installing Linux or get just get a terminal program to run from DOS and continue to
use the WP5.1 that is on the machine.  ( I already installed VIM for dos  but I don’t like using it
for prose.)

Later and thanks
Rod

ps   I plan on bringing this to the next meeting.