Another Newbie Question

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at opus1.com
Tue Oct 29 16:16:39 CST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Seth Dimbert" <s.dimbert at fhmr.com>

> But, what I really want is a workstation. Now, I could take old hardware
and
> create a DOS workstation, and have access to word processors, email apps,
> etc. But I don't know how to do that with my Linux installs.

As an old DOS hack (the only person I know who read the DOS III manual all
the way through), I have to say that I think you'll be happier with Linux.
Even if you have a box full of great DOS utilities, you're not going to have
or be able to get current ones, especially not for free.

DOS was a great system, and you can do a lot more in it than most people
realize, but Linux is DOS plus twenty years of evolution (and a better
foundation to begin with).

All of the utilities you could imagine are freely available, not too
difficult to find and pretty well documented.

If you really decide to go with DOS, I have a couple of CD's full of
utilities I'll be glad to share with you (used to run a good FIDONet File
Node).

Tell you what, post some hardware specifics and we'll have some nice heated
arguments on what the best strategy would be for you.