Another Newbie Question

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Tue Oct 29 13:18:12 CST 2002

You can defiantly run X on older systems. I've heard of many people successfully
running X on 486s without any problems. I think your getting confused about
something here, X itself isn't all that resource intensive. Its the desktop
environments and window managers that run on top of X that consume massive
amounts of memory and precious processor cycles. So yes, you probably will have
a hell of a time running a full featured X Desktop Environment like Gnome or KDE
on a slow machine, as they take up too many resources. However, there are other
light-weight window managers out there that you can use by themselves. I hear
Blackbox is a popular minimalist window manager that is good on slow PCs, but
there are many others as well. Depending on which one you choose, your probably
not going to have the nice desktop icons, menu bar, or sound that your used to,
but you can run any X based program you need. As for choosing one, do some
research here: http://www.plig.org/xwinman/index.html

Then download and install the ones your interested in. Then share your results
with the list.

You should also look into DirectFB (http://www.directfb.org) which is a library
that lays on top the Linux FrameBuffer. Basically you can compile your kernel to
access your graphics hardware directly thru a well-defined interface. It's built
for embedded systems, so it's very light-weight.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO.html