wireless

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Oct 29 09:49:06 CST 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:

> Did you loose any bandwidth?  Does it work with the faster 802.11a?

I didn't seem to lose any bandwidth.  The link always says 11MBs, but I
always seem to get around 2-4MB/s with 802.11b.  It doesn't matter if they
are one foot away or 1000 feet away.  Must have something to do with the
switching between the transmitter and receiver.  The ping still times
remained very low without any dropouts if our antennas were still aimed at
each other.  But I'm using cheapo linksys cards, so your experience may be
better.

For the 5GHz band, we'd have to make new antennas.  And from what I hear,
those units aren't developed enough yet to work at full bandwidth at a
good range.  Bandwidth drops off dramatically after you leave the room,
from what I hear.  Sounds to me like the receive circuitry takes in too
much noise or something.