wireless

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Oct 29 00:59:14 CST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Aldis A. Tuck wrote:

> Has anyone in the group made a can antenna yet?
> http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

Yes, and they work very well.  I was able to get 1-1/2 mile range with a
soup can (extra chunky) on the other side of a hill.  Canned food may not
look great as the fine offerings from commercial vendors, but they can do
the job just as good or better.  Combined with waveguide cones or dishes,
these cans may give serious gain.  See if you can beat this guy's record
of 26 miles with a commercial 24dbi dish (my brother has a pair of these
and they work great :)

http://wireless.mhpcc.edu/

> They look cool, is there a Linux app available that could be use to
> record signals with?

If you want to record signal strength:

watch --interval 0 cat /proc/net/wireless

If you want to record data:

airsnort and ethereal can run together...