Sound Problems

Adam Davis ald at dovienya.net
Sat Oct 26 16:58:58 CDT 2002

A few days ago I posted regarding some troubles I was having with my
sound.  I did quite a bit of playing and recompiling and did not get very
far, so I thought 'Well, I've been wanting to try to get Debian to work on
this computer anyway...'.  I abandoned FreeBSD (though I may eventually
return...  I loved FreeBSD), and switched over to Debian 3.0.

Unfortunately, the install didn't even detect my sound card.  However,
after reading up on some information regarding sound cards and the kernel,
I was able to recompile the kernel (about 8 times ;) to include specific
support for the sound card I needed.  Some more tinkering, a few scary
noises coming out of my speakers... And now, all the problems I was
having are gone.

I appreciate all the help I got from various people.  It didn't do me much
good under FreeBSD (which apparently does not keep records in the same
places Linux does), but once I switched over to Debian, a lot of your tips
helped me out.  Thank you much.

~Adam Davis