Red Hat

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Sat Oct 26 15:22:02 CDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Jason wrote:

> Does anyone on this list use any distros other than RedHat or Debian or
> a RedHat derivative for that matter?

Redhat 4.1 was my first when it came out.  I was hooked and later tried
suse, slack, mandrake, and attempted debian.  At the moment, I'm a gentoo
junkie.  In my very biased opinion, I found gentoo the easiest
distribution to install and use (try installing and actually using redhat
on an old P120 with 32MB of ram...)

Its great being able to recompile the system to be sleek and agile like a
light weight race car or every bit as rough and tough like a Mac dump
truck.  Since all the tools are laid out like a well kept machine shop, it
begs me to tinker with the code, learn, and build the most interesting
things.  I found gentoo to be highly addictive and haven't found a way to
break the habit yet.  There's nothing more satisfying than compiling lines
of fresh code.  It lifts the spirits, cures the blues, and they haven't
outlawed the GPL (yet.)