Syslog and/or logrotate problem

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Fri Oct 25 16:58:19 CDT 2002

> The working server has the same setup, but I changed it back to weekly to
> see if that helps.

You shouldn't need to rotate your logs more than once a week.

> It was the actual PID...they matched.

Ok

> I got this error from command
> 	[root at ray log]# kill -HUP 'cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2>/dev/null'
> 	bash: kill: cat /var/run/syslogd.pid 2>/dev/null: no such pid

Those are backticks ( the key that shares space with the tilde ~ ) that are
surrounding the cat command, not the single qoute (the key that shares with
double quote " ). It tells the shell to execute the statement contained and then
pass it's output to the called program. Try it again with backticks.

> >Also, make sure that if you are using any kernel security patches
> (GRSecurity,
> >LIDS, etc.) that you have your ACLS setup correctly.
>
> Will check on these.

So you are using a kernel security pacth then. Which one?

> Thanks for the help!

No problem.