Syslog and/or logrotate problem

Brad Crotchett brad at ispn.net
Fri Oct 25 09:42:18 CDT 2002

I have 2 similar servers running rh 7.1.  One of them rotates logs just fine
and the other does not.  The failing one seems to write to one log, then
when it stops writing to that one and starts writing to the next, it
actually deletes all the entries from the first log file.  For example, on
Monday it will write to maillog.  When I come in Tuesday morning, maillog
will be empty, and the server will be writing to maillog.1.  Wednesday
maillog and maillog.1 are empty, and it is writing to maillog.2.  The
logrotate.conf files are identical, syslog.conf files are identical, the
cron entries are identical, and the rc.local's are identical.  One
difference that I do see, is a ps -aux |grep log on each server shows that
one is running

syslogd -m -0 -r

while the other is running

syslogd -m -0

A final thing I have noticed is when I restart syslog, the system starts
writing to the first log file again, and starts cycling back through the
same (wrong) way.

Any help is greatly appreciated...I am losing log files!

Brad Crotchett