cd copier

darkweb4 at totalmail.com darkweb4 at totalmail.com
Thu Oct 24 09:22:58 CDT 2002

With some of the topics about creating/mass writing Mandrake/DemoLinux/etc.  I got to thinking
about what it would cost to homegrow a cd-copier with 2-5 cd toasters in the same machine.  The
cd-copiers that I've seen are ~$600-900 each... for a piece of equipment that only has one
function.  Whereas a "normal" box with a multitude of toasters in it could serve many additional
functions.  Yes, I know that a "regular" box would end up costing more (with a good processor,
additional drive controler (either SCSI or IDE)), but I think that the greater cost would be
migitated by the greater utility.  What are your opinions on this?

Another question:  What bus would be more stable for such a use?  I mean, you don't want to quickly
burn a lot of coasters! :)

tim