Another way to recycle computers

Duane Attaway dattaway at attaway.net
Tue Oct 22 13:12:49 CDT 2002

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Dana wrote:

> An electronics recycling collection event is planned for November 16, 2002
> at the Arrowhead Stadium parking lot, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Metro area residents
> will be able to recycle their old cell phones, pagers, computers and
> televisions.
>
> A per-unit charge will be collected to properly recycle computer monitors
> ($15.00 each), computer printers ($5.00 each), televisions (21 inches and
> smaller: $15.00, larger than 21 inches:$25.00). Cash or check only. Credit
> cards not accepted. Please call ahead if you plan to bring a console or big
> screen TV. This event is for households only, no business items will be
> accepted.

If I remember right, Indpendence Electronics on Main sold surplus
electronics that people would throw away.

I'd be happy to take stuff like this.  And I won't charge...

Cell phones have great microwave parts and modules for fun projects.
Computer printers have all kinds of gears, shafts, and stepper motors for
great robotic applications.  Televisions have wonderful high voltage parts
for the most fantastic halloween displays.  Computers have all sorts of
cool logic parts and can often be pieced together to form interesting
controllers.  Older electronics of any type are the most valuable, since
the discrete components are more elementary and modular.

A big screen television not only has great magnetic and high voltage
components, they have wonderful optics to create other interesting
projects.

Why do people pay to get rid of this stuff?  I'll recycle it for free!