Server load and MYSQL

Aaron aaron at aarons.net
Tue Oct 22 09:35:26 CDT 2002

> Do you have adequate indexes on your MySQL tables? You're getting much
> heavier traffic than I have ever had to deal with and the number of
> variables at play here is large, but if it's MySQL that's eating your
> resources, try to find some good information on tuning MySQL.

Not sure.  MySQL is not my strong point at all.  I spent 4 hours the other
night trying to figure out where my sock file went and why I couldn't create
a new one. (permissions problems)

> You said this box has 1GB of RAM, how much of it is being used at any
> given time, on average, max?

Average, most of the time is about 995MB..  Max I see about 16-25MB of swap
being used.

> Depending on that information, I'd consider increasing the key_buffer_size
> parameter for MySQL. This will increase the "cache hits" thus preventing
> the box from going to disk as much, which should speed things up a bit.
>
> Also increasing the table_cache parameter will cause more table data to be
> kept resident in RAM, thus decreasing disk IO.
>
> Other things to consider mucking with are record_buffer and sort_buffer,
> but be careful with increasing these too much if you have a large number
> of session connections.
>
> I would try adjusting the key_buffer_size and table_cache first and see
> what happens.

Okay, Again, not my strong suit.  Here's the my.cnf file. Anyone see
anything wierd that should be changed?

[client]
port = 3306
socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysqld]
port = 3306
socket = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
skip-locking
set-variable = max_connections=650
set-variable = key_buffer=16M
set-variable = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
set-variable = join_buffer=1M
set-variable = record_buffer=1M
set-variable = sort_buffer=2M
set-variable = table_cache=1024