Has Linux gone binary?

Jeremy Fowler jfowler at westrope.com
Mon Oct 21 13:56:09 CDT 2002

> > Not true, if the software supports automake, like most GNU software, the
> 'make
> > uninstall' command will undo whatever 'make install' does. That is if you
> keep
> > the source tree around after you compile.
>
> Unfortunately, that option isn't often implemented by the developers.

I don't know, you would be surprised. Next time you download a source tarball
run ./configure to generate the Makefiles and grep thru them for a target called
'uninstall'. This feature is required by the GNU Standards and is quite common
with automake/autoconf packages. It's put in there automatically when automake
generates the Makefile. However, it's not the best solution and it isn't always
that reliable. So I know what your getting at, a package manager of some sort is
indeed better.