kernel panic

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Sat Oct 19 14:09:18 CDT 2002

> Any of you guys live near the Plaza ?  I'm trying to get this new
kernel
> to boot and have hit a brick wall.  I may need an in-person visit for
> free lunch !
>
> Kernel Panic
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=/"
>
> what I have is root=LABEL=/
>
> This is the identical option that works with my distribution kernel
!?!

> Anyone know what's up with this ?

The kernel can't find your boot partition.  You can check your new
kernel configuration to see if you're missing support for something
critical...off-hand I don't know if you need anything special to use
partition lables rather than device names for your root filesystem.  You
at least need to verify you have all appropriate hardware, file-system,
and raid drivers compiled into the kernel, or properly merged into your
initial ramdisk image.

You might also try using the device name, instead of the partition
label.  Something like one of the following:

root=/dev/hda5
root=/dev/sda1
root=/dev/md0

Obviously, use the appropriate device for your system!

Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net