X forwarding

Lucas Peet lpeet at eccod.com
Sat Oct 19 13:21:41 CDT 2002

You need an Xserver on the workstation.  If this is a Linux box, no
problem, if it's a Windows box, you'll need to use something like
Hummingbird Exceed or Xwin32.  (Xwin32 can be downloaded for a 30 day
trial.)  I then use an SSH client (usually the one that's free for
non-commercial use from ssh.com or PuTTY) to forward X.  Then, I tell
the Xserver on the workstation that the Xclient is on the local host.
 SSH will forward this request back to the server box and run any X
program I want and display it on my workstation.

Want the whole desktop?  Just run 'startkde', and that will load (and
forward) the entire KDE desktop to your remote box.

Sorry if this sounds confusing - the people who made Xwindows were
thinking backwards when they decided what to call the X 'server' and X
'client'.

-Lucas