X forwarding

Brad Crotchett brad at ispn.net
Sat Oct 19 09:39:10 CDT 2002

Hi,

I am a little confused on X forwarding and have a few quetions.  I have
heard that you don't want to run the X window system on our servers for
security reasons, but I want to be able to view X clients on the server
remotely from my workstation.  For example, I want to be able to view SAR
stats from the server remotely on my workstation through isag.  Here are my
questions:

1.	Does X have to be installed on a server in order to forward X clients?

2.	Does X have to be running on the server in order to forward X clients?

3.	What does it take to forward an entire X session so I can have a remote X
session (workstation to workstation)?  Obviously X must be installed on the
remote box.  Does it have to be running?  What is the best way to set that
up?

I have worked a bit with forwarding X clients through SSH and had mixed
luck.  I am not sure what the factor is that causes it to fail sometimes.

4.  Is it a security risk to run a remote X session to a server?  Can it be
tunneled?  I am running an iptables firewall that is masquerading my home
network.  Is there a viable VPN solution?

Thanks in advance!

Brad