While Were on the Subject of SPAM Filters

Justin jtrae at sunflower.com
Fri Oct 18 22:26:52 CDT 2002

Steven Elling wrote:

>Here is one that I am particularly interested in:
>
>Tagged Message Delivery Agent (TMDA)
>
>TMDA is an OSI certified software application designed to significantly
>reduce the amount of SPAM/UCE (junk-mail) you receive. As a SPAM filter,
>TMDA combines a "whitelist" (for known/trusted senders), a "blacklist" (for
>undesired senders), and a cryptographically enhanced confirmation system
>(for unknown, but legitimate senders). TMDA strives to be more effectual,
>yet less time-consuming than traditional filters.

For effectiveness, time, and simplicity I found that spamassassin met
all of my needs.  To be effective I had to lower the score threshold
down to 2.8 and create a whitelist to not dump my parents (WHO INSIST ON
TYPING IN ALL CAPS!!!).  But with six lines of procmail, it's all setup.
 Anything with spam-status flag of yes gets dumped in an out of the way
folder.  I think it's nice because I don't have to teach it what spam
is.  I get the same junk as everyone else, and as such, the rules
already exist.